[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Remove device manager

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:27:58 +0100 CET

Marcus Overhagen <marcusoverhagen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think we should remove the current pnp device manager from Haiku.
>
> It is unnecessary complicated and stalls the entire
> kernel driver development process.

I don't think so. The only place where it may have the potential to
stall anything is SCSI/IDE related - because you currently need to use
it when doing a driver in there.
Parts of the new driver system are definitely usable (the node device
tree for example), and are IMO worth to be kept. I still think that we
can solve the existing problems by redesigning what we have now instead
of throwing that away for nothing. We just have to sit down and do it -
for example, we could do that on BeGeistert.

> IO ressource reservation by device drivers is completely useless,
> except for the purpose of multiple drivers supporting the same
> device, when the device manager will detected the collision and
> allow only one driver. This can be handled by allowing only one
> driver per device.

Agreed.

[...]
> The way that drivers need to load their own parents is completely
> broken, and makes passing data from for example controller driver
> to it channel childs a nightmare.

Definitely!

> Proposal:
> - basically implement a R5 style device driver handling.

We already have that. In any way, I don't think it's a good solution,
and shouldn't be left alone.

> - driver attributes should be removed

I am a bit torn on that one. While they are not really practical to
use, they also allow for a nice encapsulation of node/driver specific
data. I guess we could do something similar which is nicer to use,
though (like tagged data, for example via a KMessage).

Bye,
   Axel.