[haiku-development] Re: Press Space for Boot Options in Bootloader

  • From: The_Serial_Wombat <the.serial.wombat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 06:28:37 -0400

On 10/26/2010 6:11 AM, Efthymios Georgiadis wrote:
Just make it to halt on the first time boot up and wait for enter in order to boot... And in that moment the user could be informed that the next time he may use the space...as it will automaticly boot...

On 26 October 2010 11:48, Stefano Ceccherini <stefano.ceccherini@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:stefano.ceccherini@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    2010/10/26 Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>>:
    > On 2010-10-26, at 08:50, Adrien Destugues wrote:
    >
    >> Le 25/10/2010 23:34, ian dumych a écrit :
    >>
    >>> I think it would make good sense to have a tastefully typeset
    screen that displays for a few seconds at boot that alerts the
    user to this feature, similar to the chkdsk warning in Ubuntu.

    >> A few seconds of waiting for a keypress is likely to increase
    the boot time of haiku by 50% on some machines. That's not a
    really good solution.

    > Hence my question of whether or not it would be possible to back
    out of the boot if the key is pressed before file systems are
    mounted for write.

    > On 2010-10-26, at 10:06, Fredrik Holmqvist wrote:
    >
    >> I'd much prefer to see this well documented where you get
    Haiku, and
    >> in readme's.
    >
    > Well, even if you know about the boot menu, you need to be very
    fast to hit the key. I have more than once missed the split second
    time frame, and therefore had to use the computer's reset button
    after Haiku locked up, making sure to be more concentrated on next
    boot.

    Since some time (at least six months) you can keep shift pressed since
    you turn on the pc, and it will enter the safe boot menu.
    No need to wait for the exact moment.

--
Best Regards
E.Georgiadis

I had originally started out creating a full blown setup and command line diagnostic list with full descriptions. Should I continue this doc and who should I give it to once it is completed? I have a partial list on a test haiku partition somewhere. Most of the information can be found if you hunt long enough. I was compiling this list so it was in one place. Also, where do I find these little "updates" (like the "shift key" trick) besides reading the code? (I don't usually svn, since I don't compile the source. No real build system set up yet.)