[haiku-development] Re: Press Space for Boot Options in Bootloader

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 08:50:55 +0200

 Le 25/10/2010 23:34, ian dumych a écrit :
I think it would make good sense to have a tastefully typeset screen that displays for a few seconds at boot that alerts the user to this feature, similar to the chkdsk warning in Ubuntu. The only people that are really going to know about this otherwise are BeOS refugees.

A few seconds of waiting for a keypress is likely to increase the boot time of haiku by 50% on some machines. That's not a really good solution. Ubuntu allows you to cancel the check while it is infact already running, something that's harder to do with accesing a boot menu.

Windows requires you to press F8 to access failsafe mode and some other boot settings, and it's not visible anywhere. They have, however, a menu that show up automatically when the last boot attempt failed. But I never heard of anyone asking for a big 'press F8 for options' onWindows splash screen...

--
Adrien.