[haiku-development] Re: Press Space for Boot Options in Bootloader

  • From: Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 11:39:11 +0200

On 2010-10-26, at 08:50, Adrien Destugues wrote:

> Le 25/10/2010 23:34, ian dumych a écrit :
>
>> I think it would make good sense to have a tastefully typeset screen that
>> displays for a few seconds at boot that alerts the user to this feature,
>> similar to the chkdsk warning in Ubuntu.
>>

> A few seconds of waiting for a keypress is likely to increase the boot time
> of haiku by 50% on some machines. That's not a really good solution.

Hence my question of whether or not it would be possible to back out of the
boot if the key is pressed before file systems are mounted for write.

On 2010-10-26, at 10:06, Fredrik Holmqvist wrote:

> I'd much prefer to see this well documented where you get Haiku, and
> in readme's.

Well, even if you know about the boot menu, you need to be very fast to hit the
key. I have more than once missed the split second time frame, and therefore
had to use the computer's reset button after Haiku locked up, making sure to be
more concentrated on next boot.

> I want my boot-time as short as possible, especially now that I'm
> working on bugs where the reboot time is a critical factor on how fast
> I can proceed.

I absolutely agree that increasing the current waiting time (assuming there is
one) is not a good solution.

-Truls