[haiku-development] Re: Out of memory errors when virtual memory disabled

  • From: Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 14:13:31 +0100

Il 06/12/11 01.01, David Given ha scritto:
On 05/12/11 23:31, Philippe Saint-Pierre wrote:
[...]
I had a teacher once suggesting that making a ramdisk to host a swap
partition was a good idea.. had a hard time to stop laughing. :)

Back in the old Windows 3.1 days this was actually recommended.
Apparently Windows couldn't really cope with more than 8MB of RAM or so.

Uh? I remember using a Win31 machine with 32 MB... it was so cool because I could open EVERYTHING AT ONCE :-D It was even cooler than my 286 with 4 MB (the max you could put in), because the 286 didn't support paging and it actually ran out of memory sometimes.

I remember there was a problem with Excel in Mac OS 8 or something, where it was recommended to turn on the swapfile and set it to 1 MB to use Excel. There were a lot of angry users who blamed Microsoft for forcing them to use the swapfile because they still see several MBs of RAM free :-)

... now my MacBook is telling me that the virtual memory is 201.29 GB in size, but I've only 5.11 GB of physical RAM in use and 0 bytes of swapfile ...

Gabriele