[haiku-development] Re: Out of memory errors when virtual memory disabled

  • From: David Given <dg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 00:01:19 +0000

On 05/12/11 23:31, Philippe Saint-Pierre wrote:
> I had a teacher once suggesting that making a ramdisk to host a swap
> partition was a good idea.. had a hard time to stop laughing. :)

Back in the old Windows 3.1 days this was actually recommended.
Apparently Windows couldn't really cope with more than 8MB of RAM or so.

And I have a modern era Toshiba AC100 ARM laptop running Linux that
swaps happily onto a compressed ramdisk.

│ "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by
│ stupidity." --- Nick Diamos (Hanlon's Razor)