[haiku-development] Re: big_synth.sy considered harmful

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 20:52:33 +0100

On 12/02/2011 04:00 AM, pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
What I relly would like done [and yes, I'm willing to look into it]
is to have a settings file for BSynth, with an associated preflet where
the user could choose the soundfont from anywhere.  Probably other
settings, too, like Interpolation Mode.  There seem to be some features
missing from the current Haiku BSynth (like GetAudio) that fluidsynth
should be able to provide, so a revamp is probably due.

I would welcome such a change. Given the size of the audience, I wouldn't care adding a preferences application for it, but having more than one sound font to choose from, sounds like a good idea to me, especially if you can easily install the extra fonts via optional packages (that are not included in the base distribution).

Maybe one could add a midi pane to the Media preferences? While the two don't have much in common under the hood, from a user perspective, that's where I would be looking for such a setting.

Bye,
   Axel.