[haiku-development] Re: Optional Library Package

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 14:23:46 -0700

> Hello Folks,
> I was told I should probably post here. I don't have an account here, mainly
> because I'm not a developer.
> I'm following up on the article I wrote here (I'm including it to the bottom
> here as well).
> Would the Haiku team consider distributing an optional 'library only'
> package for Haiku?
> One of the most common problems when launching applications, is missing
> libraries. It's quite frustrating, and Haiku's forums and Haikuware are
> filled with comments in this regard.
> I'd be happy to put together a GCC2 package of libraries based on the
> available ones at HaikuPorts (and if that's fine with them).

Please be patient.  We (HaikuPorts) lost our previous ftp site and are
in the process of moving to a new place to host our binaries.  Each of
our binary zip packages will contain an .OptionalPackageDescription
file so that it could potentially be used as an OptionalPackage or by
some future as yet unwritten Package Installation program, perhaps
even linked in and able to install from the Installer program in Haiku
someday.  That's all yet TBD.  But soon you'll start seeing the
HaikuPorts binaries come back online, which should help out in the
short term.  If you have any requests for specific packages please
post a new ticket on HaikuPorts trac or on the HaikuPorts-users
mailing list, and we'll see what we can do.
-scottmc