[haiku-development] Re: Optional Library Package

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 11:38 AM, PHilip RUshik <prushik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think that shipping applications with their dependencies in an archive
> could be useful, but we will have to be careful which applications ship this
> way, if this method is abused, we will end up wasting space with duplicate
> libs or slightly different versions of the same lib.

Yes, I agree there's no "right" solution for every situation.

Really "large" games generally have graphics and data files that far
outweigh the size of the libs they rely on, while on the other hand
with small games, the libs may make up the majority of the total "game
code". I think in the case of having lots of smaller games, a single
set of shared libs makes more sense, but with larger games, having a
specific set of the libs shipped with the game makes more sense
(especially since the specific version of the libs may be more
critical to the game functionality).

And of course, this is why so many package management solutions exist now...

For "legacy apps" (like old BeOS R5 apps) that aren't going to be
maintained, and are likely to be deprecated as replacements appear, I
think shipping them with their specific dependencies makes more sense.
This may require re-packaging them, however...

> (my SDL game currently uses one external lib, libSDL only)

Nice :)