[haiku-development] Re: Optional Library Package

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 23:01:38 +0200

On 2010-05-12 at 18:38:18 [+0200], Karl vom Dorff <karlvd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Anway, I don't think that's what Karl was referring to. I think this is
> about
> software packages that require libraries not included with Haiku. Which
> admittedly is very inconvenient for users. Package management would solve
> that problem."
>
> Well, I was referring to offering an optional package with compatibility,
> legacy and native libraries included - in the meantime...
>
> And, I'm not so sure a package manager would solve the problem. It would
> probably solve the problem for packages offered in the package manager's
> repository which would then grab the dependencies. What about when a user
> downloads software from a website however (as is mostly done now)? Some
> people prefer downloading through a web interface because it offers features
> that package managers don't.
>
> I just think it'd be very convenient to have an optional package of popular
> common libraries; there can't be that many.

Karl, IMHO, you are the best person to come up with an initial list of what
libs you'd like to be in the package. That can then be at least a basis for
discussion. As to what libraries are already included in Haiku, I would just
take the Alpha2 release as reference. You can either look at the libs in
/boot/system/lib and /boot/common/lib, or you could derive the needed libs
through testing of popular packages. Personally, I think you probably know
better which packages are popular and give dependency problems. I don't
frequently install stuff, though I did run into the libcrypto and libssl
compatibility problem after I upgraded and tried to use Beam, and then later
when I tried to install QEMU. And I am sometimes happy when stuff gets made
available as optional package, like with the Transmission package. But my
experiences don't go much farther than that, so I think you should provide an
initial list, since you are much closer to the problem.

Best regards,
-Stephan