[haiku-development] OpenGL Kit maybe moving into Mesa

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 16:33:56 -0500

Ok, I hate to admit it at this point.. but Ingo was right on the
recommendation to move the OpenGL kit into Mesa.

I'm still worried that us forking Mesa 7.8.2 may be a bad idea,
however at this point we have few other options. It's going to be
quite a bit of work to get Mesa 7.8.2 creating our libGL.so.

At the moment I have the following code i'm preparing to submit
the following targets to Mesa mainline:

  libGL.so
      The code from our OpenGL kit within Mesa
  haiku-softpipe
      The swpipe renderer from our code. This is the gallium
      code i've been working on for a while that includes llvm
      optimizations, I think moving it into Mesa may solve a lot
      of the issues i've been having with LLVM symbols.

  I don't plan on moving the gcc4 swrast renderer into Mesa
  at this time.  haiku-softpipe should offer a substantial
  performance boost. Long term there isn't any reason the swrast
  driver can't go into Mesa, but gcc2 takes priority once gcc4 is
  working.

  I have a recipe constructed that creates the following:
    * mesa        -  OpenGL kit LibGL.so dispatch code
    * mesa_devel  -  OpenGL kit headers
    * mesa_swpipe -  OpenGL SoftwarePipe renderer

I'm still sorting out some linking issues with mesa_swpipe, but
the libGL.so in mesa is functioning.

For those who care:

  https://github.com/kallisti5/mesa  -- My mesa work that will
  be submitted to Mesa upstream.

https://bitbucket.org/haikuports/haikuports/src/29c2d2eabc471c1275cec003035cabbd551269d1/sys-libs/mesa/mesa-9.3.recipe?at=package-management
  -- Mesa 9.3 recipe.  9.3 is the next version of mesa, this is relly just
mesa-git

 -- Alex