[haiku-development] Re: OpenGL Kit maybe moving into Mesa

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 19:53:32 -0400

scottmc wrote:

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Ok, I hate to admit it at this point.. but Ingo was right on the
    recommendation to move the OpenGL kit into Mesa.

    I'm still worried that us forking Mesa 7.8.2 may be a bad idea,
    however at this point we have few other options. It's going to be
    quite a bit of work to get Mesa 7.8.2 creating our libGL.so.

Are there any known programs from BeOS days that require OpenGL, and for which ones do we no access to source code? And if so are those program worth the effort that would be required to keep them running on a gcc2 only system? What I'm saying is, is there even a good reason to support OpenGL for gcc2? I mean we waited and waited for the original OpenGL kit to come out from Be but was it ever released in an official release? If not then maybe keep the focus on 9.3 for gcc4?

-scottmc

From my in depth testing about 2 years ago, there are a handful of demo apps, but hardly much of anything else and that it. I think it'd be sane to stop supporting gcc2 in opengl at all. Whatever apps are lost so be it.

just my $0.02

Sean