[haiku-development] Re: Non-latin names in AboutSystem

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 00:00:33 +0200

2011.12.30 22:57, Ingo Weinhold rašė:
Siarzhuk Zharski wrote:
On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 19:39:21 +0100, Adrien Destugues wrote:
They can become unreadable in case current font for About dialog on
the
user system has no corresponding national characters. At least
cyrilic
names are added usually in transliterated form.
Font fallback anyone ?
If we start transliterating greek and cyrillic, we'll want to remove
accents from latin alphabet too and stick to 7bit ASCII...
I think that's a bad idea, we have utf-8 support and should use it.

I thought about that too, but then decided that that wouldn't be necessary. You can usually read latin-based texts somehow. On the other hand, if names were localizable, it would be even less of a problem as you could then have a localized name first, and then the original (with all original accents) follow. Although this functionality may become bit of a burden for localizers...

That is not a question of encoding, but lack of some codepages in the
current font. I see no sense using font with complete codepages support
for daily using, because it consumes lot of resource. AFAIR the
all-in-one font from BitStream was about 15 MB big. And some fonts are
good to render latin charsets, some to asian ones. By the way, the
default font can be set on installation correspondent to user selected
locale.
I don't know, if that is an actual concern. If so, it should be solved
properly. Haiku should just deal correctly with whatever Unicode characters are
thrown at it. If you open a Wikipedia page usually a lot of scripts are used on
it (the language selection on the left side). That should work properly just
the same.

Agreed. I'd say nowadays, when RAM is anything but expensive, saving 15 MB doesn't make too much sense to me. I'd actually be in favor of having at least one pan-unicode font in the system. Ideally, it would also render all scripts as expected, but I guess such font just doesn't exist yet...

So I'd vote for using the native script for the contributor's name, plus a
transliteration/transciption in parentheses.

I'd probably go the other way around - have transliterated names first and original in parentheses.

Rimas