[haiku-development] Re: Non-latin names in AboutSystem

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 22:09:07 +0100

Adrien Destugues wrote:
> > I prefer to have usability in mind. That are the names wich are used
> > by those peoples to let the World to know about them. For example, I
> > cannot pronounce Greek so I cannot to identify those guys somewhere
> > else outside of our About System Window. But having transliterated
> > names make theirs chance to become "my handshake and thanks" much bigger.
> >
> Ok, that makes sense. My choice would be to have both, then, and the
> transliteration be localized (so it's readable by who looks at it).
> Note ICU has a transliterator class which may be useful, if hte results
> are good enough :
> http://icu-project.org/apiref/icu4c/classTransliterator.html

Does that actually work in general, i.e. also for scripts that aren't
character-based (like Chinese)?

I'd rather avoid any such automatism and just use a manual transcription for an
English speaking (reading) audience. Since people might actually have
alternative English names (e.g. think Chinese actors (but also "normal"
people)) an automatism wouldn't be the best solution in such a case anyway.

CU, Ingo