[haiku-development] Re: Non-latin names in AboutSystem

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 19:39:21 +0100

They can become unreadable in case current font for About dialog on
the
user system has no corresponding national characters. At least cyrilic
names are added usually in transliterated form.
Font fallback anyone ?
If we start transliterating greek and cyrillic, we'll want to remove accents from latin alphabet too and stick to 7bit ASCII... I think that's a bad idea, we have utf-8 support and should use it. Think about some asiatic languages where the transliteration still uses a lot of accents and other strange stuff, and thus doesn't really help solve the problem.

--
Adrien.