[haiku-development] Re: Non-latin names in AboutSystem

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 08:23:14 +0100

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 23:22:52 +0200 Alex-P. Natsios wrote:

> Not sure whether it really matters if the IRC nick is presented or
> not
> ( not all contributors ARE using or WILL be using IRC ) there are
> also
> those who don't want to be identified/associated with their irc
> handles ( why are you using the handle or IRC then? O.o) but well
> that
> is personal choice and a matter of its own.

Exactly, "personal choice". Some people responded as if I said every
entry must include their (IRC) nickname. I just pointed that there are
already entries with nicknames in parentheses, so it'll look awkward to
put a native spelling in parentheses as well. Therefore my suggestion
to put that after a dash.
Maybe I should've written "Name Surname (optional nickname) -
squiggledisquig" to make it perfectly clear.
That I think that more people putting in their nicknames would be a
good idea so people recognize a person's commits or in IRC, was just an
aside and personal opinion.

My argument for putting the transliteration first is that then the
latin name is always in the left-most column. Easier on the eyes if
they don't have to jump around when browsing down a list. Even more so,
should the native spelling appear as  .

> Yeah i do believe that is a pretty good approach BUT the names SHOULD
> be transliterated by Humans, maybe natives.. to avoid problems or
> transliterations that are totally off...

IMO the transliteration plus native spelling should come from the person
being added. He should know best how his name should appear. English
being the common denominator on our international mailinglists etc. an
"English transliteration" should suffice; no need to have a Greek
transliteration of a Chinese name, I think.

Regards,
Humdinger

      Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette
        http://haiku-gazette.blogspot.com