[haiku-development] Re: Haiku self-hosting.

  • From: "Bruno G. Albuquerque" <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 22:17:27 -0300 (BRT)

Em Ter, Abril 1, 2008 10:01 pm, Luposian escreveu:

> You think this is a MYTH?!?  Do you honestly think I would be going
> totally ape shat, constantly complaining about it, making myself an
> absolute Pain In The Mule, making a bunch of people (if not EVERYONE)
> in the Haiku developer community utterly hate/mock me... if this was a
> frickin' MYTH?!?

Oh, I don't know about Urias, but I am pretty sure this is, indeed, the
case. :) For several reasons, actually:

1 - If you intentionally enter KDL before caches are flushed back to disk,
you are crazy. KDL is *NOT* part of a normal usage pattern for anyone
other than a developer. Specially a intentional trip to it. When you enter
KDL the system halts and do nothing more other than wait for your input
and process it. What did you expect it to do?

2 - The tone you use on your emails will never ever get anyone motivated
to do anything about whatevet you report. Betst case scenario, you will
become a part of some email filter.

3 - BFS does nly metadata journaling and not data journaling. It guarantes
(or it will, when it is bug free) that your system will always be in a
consistent state. It will *NEVER* guarantee that whatever file you wrote
to disk will be there if you do what you describe. In fact, if there is an
interface similar to KDL in another OS, exactly the same thing will
happen.

4 - Even if *ALL* disk transactions were synchronous, thsi still would not
guarantee anything (besides the fact that you would now complain there
everything is slow as hell) because harddrives lie and do not flush their
caches when they sey they do.

-Bruno