[haiku-development] Re: Haiku self-hosting.

  • From: Luposian <luposian@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 00:05:15 -0700

On Apr 1, 2008, at 11:31 PM, David McPaul wrote:

If you really want to test it.

After the copy finishes.  Open up a terminal and type sync.

Then when that completes pull the plug.

Now clearly the files should be synced properly a lot quicker but as
has been said many times over.  "The developers are aware of the
issue"

What the... huh? You mean that there's a command I can use, in Terminal, that DOES what *should* be done, but all I have to do is do it manually? Why can't people just offer me a simple "work around" like that, from the very beginning, and save me (and themselves, more importantly) all the ranting and carrying on I've been doing all day long? My goodness!

THANK YOU!  I shall try that post haste...

Um, any way to somehow "automate" this manual action (as a temporary work-around)? Hmm... maybe write an application that "watches" to see if files are copied, created, or whatever and then asks you if you'd like to Sync them to disk. That way, all you do is click [Ok] or [Not yet]. The larger the quantity or size of the files, the more likely it will ask sooner. Or maybe it asks every 15 minutes or so (user-adjustable frequency?), but only if there are files that need to be sync'd?

Just a thought.

Um, what happens if you type "sync" and there's nothing TO Sync? Does Haiku go into an internal fault loop and spontaneously delete itself and everything else on your drive, even across other partitions? :-D

Happy April Fools (well, it's about 15 minutes til midnight for me, so it's still April 1st)!

Luposian