[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1/alpha discussion proposals

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:31:19 +0200 CEST

"Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2008/8/15 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > "Donn Cave" <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> My computer that has run BeOS for lo these many years wouldn't run
> >> Haiku, and my new computer has needed to make some accommodations
> >> (e.g., IDE disk instead of SATA.)
> > A list or database of supported hardware is definitely something
> > we're
> > going to need. Best if that comes with the alpha, too. I'll just
> > add it
> > to the proposal page.
> Which reminds me in a slightly off-topic way: is the newer "ata"
> bus_manager going to be the one that is targetted for Alpha1? I know
> on several machines I have to replace the default "ide" bus_manager
> with "ata" in order to get Haiku to boot properly... but since it's
> slower and less-tested, I only use it when I must.

I've added an item about this to the proposal page some days ago. It's
the same here, actually. Sometimes it needs the "ata" bus manager,
sometimes it doesn't.
The biggest downside of the ata bus manager is the missing support for
ATAPI at this point (besides the noticeably longer boot time); DMA
would be nice, too, of course :-)

Bye,
   Axel.