[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1/alpha discussion proposals

  • From: "Niels Reedijk" <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 23:14:53 +0200

Hi Urias,

2008/8/12 Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>:
> 2008/8/12 Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Hi gang,
>>
>> Sorry in advance for the staccato message
>>
>> I just created a list of proposals based on the discussion we had
>> recently. Find it at:
>>
>> http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/R1/Alpha1Proposals
>
> It seems like #11 and #16 (firefox and/or webkit browser) could just
> be combined into a single item: "Browser included? If so, which one?"

Yes, at the other hand, the question currently is whether Webkit is
ready. I personally think it will die on Sunday, since there is
nothing ready yet (as far as I know), and also, it depends on GCC 4 so
proposition 4 has to pass in order to make that work. Before striking
through prop 16 though, I'd like to wait whether someone is willing to
make it work or not.

> I'm not sure I understand the "adopted by" aspect... this is intended
> for developers with commit access only?

Well, sort of yes. In my mind, having an item adopted (or endorsed)
puts a face on someone who is responsible for that item. It's easy in
a discussion to say 'we should do this' or 'wouldn't it be neat if we
had that', but it is different when you say 'I will make sure that we
do this'. That's what the adoption is for.

> Because there are several non-developer tasks on there that can be
> adopted as well. For example, I could be inclined to adopt the BeBook
> "package", or possibly even the "welcome package".

I don't object to any well-known community member non-developer taking
up the task. I guess you have enough permissions on dev.haiku-os.org
to take care of it yourself (if you want to)?

> Also, there's no clear mention of the existing "R1/Alpha1" roadmap
> tickets: http://dev.haiku-os.org/milestone/R1/alpha1 (I don't think
> all of them are data-corruption related) - are they also part of the
> proposal by their very nature?

Yes, as far as I'm concerned, yes. Though I think the true release
blockers are the tickets with priority 'blocker'.

> Thanks for putting this together though, it definitely helps summarize
> the threads I didn't have time to fully digest last week :)

No problem. I really hope this might propel some things forward.

Niels