[haiku-development] Re: Haiku, Qt and apps, oh my!

  • From: David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:09:54 +1100

I don't have a particular opinion on Qt and I think that we need more
developers writing more software and that will only happen when they
work with tools they want to use on software that interests them.

One of the difficulties with Haiku development is that you often feel
you have to port or write utilities before you can write the actual
software you wanted to write.

But I do think we have to be careful about what is ported vs native.

No disrespect to the people who ported VLC but in doing so it has
reduced the feedback that the media kit gets.

I don't know how to draw the line though, having parts of ffmpeg in
Haiku has meant that Haiku can playback many many codecs we would
never have had.

Porting a framework often gives us a cheap way to get software, some
of which we really need but it also makes it difficult for us to stand
out from the crowd in any meaningfull way.

--
Cheers
David