[haiku-development] Re: Haiku, Qt and apps, oh my!

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 03:42:55 +0200 CEST

> Matt Madia wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Focus shift?
> >>

> > I wouldn't call this a focus shift at all.
>
> There is a clear contradiction between what Ingo asserted in his
> email
> and some of the things that the project has been saying all along as
> way to differentiate itself from other open source OSes (mostly
> Linux).

Not really.
Not using them doesn't mean we can't have them.
Better have them and well "integrated" than not or badly ported.

> If this is not a fundamental shift in Haiku's philosophy, then how do
> you reconcile the assertion "that having at least one or two of the
> major toolkits available on Haiku is simply a necessity" (quote from
> Ingo) with what the project has been saying all along about Haiku
> being
> "developed under a single unified vision for the whole OS", that
> "includes a graphical user interface tightly tied to a unique
> graphics
> system" and that does not rely on "toolkits such as GTK+ or Qt"
> (quotes
> from the Haiku website FAQ)?

As for me, if I port one of those it will be using native widgets as
much as possible, to make apps feel native.
I don't want things like the GTK win32 port which has lots of usability
bugs, popup menus having to be dismissed with ESC and others...

There are some apps we won't be able to rewrite due to time, so better
have them than not. We just won't use them actively.
Things like scientific apps would be interesting to have for niche but
usually use some cross-platform toolkits.
It could turn to an advantage if those toolkits are better integrated
than in other OSes.

François.