[haiku-development] Re: Haiku, Qt and apps, oh my!

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 20:40:51 +0200 CEST

> > What's important is what you can do with a program,
> > and how efficient it is when doing what you need it to do.
>
> Sure i wouldn't write the Haiku About with Qt, but what about an Word
> processor? Why would you spend month, maybe years to get something
> going when you could collaborate with 10 times more devs to have a
> proper platform independent solution. Not only you as dev would gain,
> also the user since it would be tested by thousands more and thus be
> more stable and feature complete.

Right...
Actually this doesn't forbid having special features for Haiku as well
(query support, ...).

I ported several apps, some very crude, and I always tried to make them
as much integrated as possible, and I think it's really not about being
"native" as in opposite to cross-platform, but in the details of the
integration with the other apps and the OS.

Still, ports I made like XEmacs which might never get finished might
actually start much faster with a ported toolkit and leave time to add
the real differentiating features (like for XEmacs I wanted to add
attribute support for storing preferred mode, charset, ...).

François.