[haiku-development] Re: Haiku Kernel Architecture Questions

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:22:30 +0100 CET

> Adrian Panasiuk wrote:
> >> Yes, most drivers run in kernelland. The difference to a
> > > monolithic kernel
> >> is only that the drivers aren't built into the kernel itself, but
> > > are
> >> modules which are loaded dynamically.
> >
> > Isn't this what Linux does? It also loads modules into kernelland.

In that context, monolithic is defined by opposition to microkernel
which separates drivers into different address spaces.
Though we usually refer to hybrid monolithic to indicate the
modularity.

> Yes. That's why it is not a micro-kernel either. :) Last time I
> checked,
> Haiku's device driver model is way more flexible than the Linux one
> tough.

And much more defined and documented :)
Did you see the linux kernel glue code in OpenSound ? scary.

François.