[haiku-development] Re: Haiku Kernel Architecture Questions

  • From: "Rene Gollent" <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 11:28:52 -0600

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:23 AM, John Rash <johnrash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a question about drivers, do the drivers load and run as
> separate processes in the kernel's address space, similar to a micro
> kernel? or do they run inside the kernel itself, similar to Linux
> kernel modules?

Depends on the driver category. Most of them are loaded directly into
the kernel's address space with full permissions. Some such as
graphics are split into two modules though, the kernel driver that
sets up the hardware, and an "accelerant" that's loaded in user space
by the windowing server to do the actual acceleration ops.

Regards,

Rene