[haiku-development] Haiku Kernel Architecture Questions

  • From: "John Rash" <johnrash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:28:03 -0400

Hello,
I can't seem to find any in-depth documentation on the Haiku kernel,
other than that it was forked from NewOS and that it is very BeOS
like. I am interested in how the kernel differs from the BeOS kernel
and other kernels in general. I know that the network stack in
integrated in the kernel, but do the other servers still run in user
space? I have read that the BeOS kernel was not a real microkernel in
the sense that some drivers ran in the kernel, is this the same with
the Haiku kernel? How does the Haiku kernel perform compared to BeOS
or a monolithic kernel like Linux or the BSD kernels?

If any of you guys could point me in the direction of some
documentation that answers these questions it would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,
John