[haiku-development] Re: Haiku, Inc. in Contempt of Its Community

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 18:10:34 +0100

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 05:21:32PM -0800, Jim Saxton wrote:
> On 2/14/15, Matthias Lindner <two4god@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Jim Saxton
> >
> > if you followed the haiku website closely there where a lot information
> > before it was implemented,
> >
> > the first discussions on the  mailing list even dates back to 2001:
> > https://www.freelists.org/post/haiku/Package-Management-System
> > it always showed up from time to time at the malinglist, on irc and so on.
> > https://www.freelists.org/post/haiku/Core-libraries-package-management
> >
> > It was also asked for  public discussion  in an public blogpost on the
> > website (see the last sentense).
> > https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/zooey/2011-01-03_package_management_haiku
> >
> > and a as you can see from this document it was widly discussed:
> > https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/PackageManagement/OldIdeas
> >

> I followed all of those as closely as I had time. None of them led me
> to believe there would be a software breaking change to the directory
> structure. If it was there, it was not obviopus. note: most app devs
> do not follow this list or the irc channel, and are too busy with
> their projects to notice haiku issues that are not currently affecting
> them directly. Most are using r1a4 as it is the last official release,
> and have not yet discovered the changes that PM has made to Haiku.
> When the next release is here is when the real notice will happen.

The original plan was a bit different, the idea was to let users write
to non-packaged and get these changes visible in the "packaged" view of
the system. This was dropped because there was an unreasonable
performance hit in doing this, and it didn't really break any
well-behaving BeOS app. Yes, it does means some changes to the FS
hieararchy, but this was already changed from BeOS several times in the
past (booting a BeOS install is enough to notice that).

So, the completely separate "non-packaged" directory hierarchy is a
tradeoff: a slightly more complex FS hierarchy, but a system which works
with acceptable performance.

There is also nothing forcing people to use packages. You can still use
the "extract anywhere and run" way of packaging apps (and this is fine
if a developer decides it is good enough for a particular app). Only if
you want your app to be managed by the package manager (with the
automated uodates, etc), you need to put it in a package. This is not a
requirement for anything.

--
Adrien.