[haiku-development] Re: Would I Offend You Were I To Sell Haiku?

  • From: Augustin Cavalier <waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 09:45:09 -0500

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 10:18 PM, Michael Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> What I would do is to explore the nightlies for the most-stable
> version of each software package.

None of the software in HaikuDepot has gone backwards in terms of stability
(AFAIK), only the system itself has. And even then it's usually fixed
quickly.

Do you have the needed skills to fix the kernel in case of issues? Are you
willing to pay Haiku developers to do this work for you?

> There are some packages that have formal test scripts or written test
> plans.  To the extent that they do, I'd run them, then provide the
> specific version of the package that passes the most tests.

Once again, very few (native applications anyway) in HaikuDepot have
unit-tests. And the unittests for Haiku itself are run pretty regularly by
at least some of the developers.

> I have observed that Haiku is commonly used as a testbed for
> conceptual UI design, for example finding better ways to tile new
> windows.  I think that's great, but what end-users really need is a
> stable platform, whatever the UI happens to be.  I would provide that.

In what way are we a "testbed" for conceptual UI design? I personally don't
see
too many drastic changes to the UI that are experimental...

> So strictly speaking I would be creating a fork.  If I pursue this
> there would be a lot of work for me, both in pulling in new code from
> you folks, as well as fixing things for my users then contributing
> patches back to the community.

Or alternatively you could just provide a "Fix the bug you found in Haiku"
service, much like KDAB does for Qt. It'd probably be easier (no worries
about trademark, etc.)

-Augustin