[haiku-development] Re: Haiku, Inc. in Contempt of Its Community

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 12:08:14 -0800

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 05:23:41PM +0100, François Revol wrote:
> On 16/02/2015 17:06, Donn Cave wrote:
> > Quoth =?windows-1252?Q?Axel_D=F6rfler?= <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> >>  From the POV of the implementors of PM, there was no reason to keep the
> >> old paths intact, as *nothing* should have used fixed paths in BeOS --
> >
> > I've read this a few times, but have no idea what you're talking about.
> > What is the implied alternative to fixed paths?
>
> Something like
> https://api.haiku-os.org/FindDirectory_8h.html ;-)

Yes, I finally tracked this paragraph down the other day, when this arg\\\
discussion (:-/)
got revived, but in all my years of working with BeOS it never entered my
awareness
that it was supposed to be *the* way.

> > I don't have any applications out there to speak of, but I started with
> > BeOS when it only ran on the BeBox, have the Be Developer's Guide, was
> > responsible for the BeOS Python port.  Somewhere along the line I should
> > have run into whatever system feature allows you to avoid fixed paths,
> > but I seem to have completely missed it.

Like Donn, I've been here since R3 and the BeBox, but I don't remember
'avoidance
of fixed paths' being stessed in any Newsletter or at any DevCon.  I wasn't even
aware that the 'finddir' command existed!  I've never seen it documented.

I've been trying to find an 'Install' script or something that used it in all
the apps
I've downloaded over the years, but have so far failed.

        -- Pete --