[haiku-development] Re: HAIKU in Q on MAC OS X

  • From: "Michael Crawford" <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:23:27 -0700

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Michael Lotz <mmlr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The problem is that the bootloader can't find the CD drive,
>>  apparently because the BeOS bootloader uses the CD in some way that
>> most other operating systems don't, and so isn't emulated by Q.
>>
>> I wrote that a long time ago.  Possibly Q has fixed the CD drive
>> problem by now.
>
> No, it's not a bug. What you see here is exactly the problem of the BeOS CD
> approach. The CD is not a single track data CD, but a two tracked ISO/boot and
> BFS CD. The second track holds the BeOS while the first one just hosts the
> bootloader.

It ought to be possible to use a CD image format other than ISO, which
allows for specifying the TOC and multiple tracks within a single
image file.

If there's not already such a format defined, we could define one.

It shouldn't be hard to add support for such images to the various
Open Source VMs; one of us could do it and submit patches to each of
the VM projects.

The proprietary VMs like Parallels and VMWare would add support if we
emailed the image format spec to their tech support address.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com

   Enjoy my art, photography, music and writing at
http://www.geometricvisions.com/
        --- Free Compact Disc ---