[haiku-development] Re: HAIKU in Q on MAC OS X

  • From: Arnold <arnoldvanh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 22:35:11 +0100

2008/10/27 Michael Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Arnold <arnoldvanh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hope this one is directed to the right mailinglist.
>> I Just tried HAIKU under Q on MAC OS X.
>
> A while back I wrote a HOWTO for getting BeOS to run under Q.
>
> The problem is that the bootloader can't find the CD drive, apparently
> because the BeOS bootloader uses the CD in some way that most other
> operating systems don't, and so isn't emulated by Q.
>
> The workaround is to install BeOS on a physical drive, then use Linux
> dd and sfdisk to copy the BeOS partition to a regular file and give it
> a one-partition partition map.
>
> It's quite painful, but works great.
>
> Single-Machine Cross-Platform Development Through CPU Emulation
> http://www.oggfrog.com/howto/emulators/
>
> I wrote that a long time ago.  Possibly Q has fixed the CD drive problem by
> now.
>
> Mike
> --
> Michael David Crawford
> mdcrawford at gmail dot com
>
>   Enjoy my art, photography, music and writing at
> http://www.geometricvisions.com/
>        --- Free Compact Disc ---

The trying was not unsuccesfull, maybe I used a Dutch way of saying things ;-)
The only problems I found yet are a very fast cursorhand on the screen
and an ongoing snowstorm. I just installed the pre alpha release and
saw snow again starting in Q, Q switched the machines, sorted them
alphabetically, so the real new virtual machine with the pre-alpha dod
not have any snow.

Well this release does have a version of Firefox on it and though it
is a bit slow, accepting input in the addressarea it is acceptable in
without ANY extra effort on my behalf. Not even activating networking
like I need to to with my virtual Ubuntu (Under parallels on MAC OSX).

This project is definitely going somewhere!

--
Regards,

Arnold