[haiku-development] Re: Google's NativeClient.

  • From: "Bruno G. Albuquerque" <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 15:41:34 -0200 (BRST)

Em Sex, Dezembro 12, 2008 11:44 am, François Revol escreveu:

> While I'm not sure of the purpose of something that defeats the very
> purpose of the web (be usable by anyone), it should be quite doable.
> Btw, if it was just for Quake, there are several java ports of Quake :p
> http://bytonic.de/html/jake2.html

I don't know exactly what you meant by this, but I can give a good example
about this: Adobe's Flash (yeah, I know you do not like it). Right now
Adobe has to invest resources fr each platform they want to support and
that's basically why we will never see an official Haiku port of it. If
Flash was compiled with Native Client, a single binary would cover all
Native Client supported platforms.

Other than that, it is naive to think that the internet is usable by
everyone right now (based on what I think your definition of usable is).
We don't have neither Flash nor Java under Haiku right now and the
internet is barely usable without those. Native Client would only make it
more likely that any x86 OS would have support for whatever people come up
with.

> As said, Michael has scons working under Haiku (we even tried to use it
> to build ZETA at yT long ago) so it shouldn't be a problem.

I am traveling right now but next week I will take a look at this.

-Bruno