[haiku-development] Re: Google's NativeClient.

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:44:34 +0100 CET

> In case you guys missed it, we (Google) released our Native Client
> project. This project was created to allow the execution of native
> code
> inside a browser (for obvious reasons, it only works with x86
> platforms). The reason I bring it up is that it can also be ran as an
> stand-alone container for applications so this can be used to create
> multi-OS applications that runs unmodified under any supported OS.
> For
> example, SDL Quake was ported to it and the required modifications
> were
> very small. The new Quake executable runs equally well under Linux,
> Windows and MacOS (all supported platforms).
>
> Maybe this could be something good to bring to Haiku? I would be
> willing
> to work on the specific Haiku port but the build system requires
> scons
> and I am not very motivated to port this. :) Anyway up to the task of
> porting scons to Haiku? Maybe this could be a candidate for a
> HaikuPorts
> project?

While I'm not sure of the purpose of something that defeats the very
purpose of the web (be usable by anyone), it should be quite doable.
Btw, if it was just for Quake, there are several java ports of Quake :p
http://bytonic.de/html/jake2.html

As said, Michael has scons working under Haiku (we even tried to use it
to build ZETA at yT long ago) so it shouldn't be a problem.

François.