[haiku-development] Re: Google's NativeClient.

  • From: "Raymond C. Rodgers" <sinful622@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 08:53:31 -0500

Bruno Albuquerque wrote:
In case you guys missed it, we (Google) released our Native Client project. This project was created to allow the execution of native code inside a browser (for obvious reasons, it only works with x86 platforms). The reason I bring it up is that it can also be ran as an stand-alone container for applications so this can be used to create multi-OS applications that runs unmodified under any supported OS. For example, SDL Quake was ported to it and the required modifications were very small. The new Quake executable runs equally well under Linux, Windows and MacOS (all supported platforms).

Maybe this could be something good to bring to Haiku? I would be willing to work on the specific Haiku port but the build system requires scons and I am not very motivated to port this. :) Anyway up to the task of porting scons to Haiku? Maybe this could be a candidate for a HaikuPorts project?

Anyway, more information here:

http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/

-Bruno

Michael Weirauch already ported scons to Haiku, it's in the Haiku ports. :-) I tried working with it to get V8 up and running, but didn't get very far. I think that the SControls file needs to be updated for Haiku (in V8) and it was easier for me to make a simple makefile than to learn scons. Hopefully you (or whoever ports NativeClient) won't run into the same issue.

Raymond