[haiku-development] Re: Google Summer of Code 2010 -- Preparation.

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 19:29:44 +0100

Some notes in a student point of view :
Due to my project consequences on Haiku, I had to work in a branch.
This means I had to work alone which is not a good way to enter the
community. Getting to commit to the main tree helps as you will get
more attention from the other devs and eventually hints on what you
did (I got some on coding style from the commit list, but not on the
UI design and this kind f things).
One danger is failing to integrate students to the dev team, but the
other one is failing to integrate their work inside Haiku, or more
precisely, inside the community. Things are starting to move forward
for the locale kit, people are submitting translations and localizing
apps, but I'm still the only dev knowing about ICU and the locale kit
internals. Solutions could be trying to increase the "bus factor" of
GSoC project by getting more people involved, or require the students
to provide some technical documentation on what they did.

That's all for today :)