[haiku-development] Re: Google Summer of Code 2010 -- Preparation.

  • From: "Star's seed" <starsseed@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 19:02:45 +0100

"Matt Madia" <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote :
Ideas to consider on how to improve GSoC & HCD from last year
http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/GoogleSummerOfCodeAdministration

Haiku Code Drive ¶
  1. Reasons for funding it:
a. Google has referenced HCD at one of the NorCal shows -- who knows where else.
      i. This alone is a very good thing, as it is additional publicity.
    b. (Possibly) HCD strengthens our chances of getting into GSoC.
  2. Reasons against it:
    a. HCD uses students that were not selected for GSoC.
      i. Not enough slots
      ii. or seemingly lower quality of applicant/proposal
b. Funding of $2500/student can be used for coding sprints, which have more bang for the buck.
    c. Releasing software tends to generate more contributors than HCD.

We could dedicate HCD's resources to finalize the projects that have not been completed during the past GSOC.
( scheduler O(1), Web-Browser, ARM support... )
Benefits:
1. Google will certainly appreciate that the projects he has contributed, continue, and they will lead ( HCD donors too). 2. Past years' students are now experienced, and then, they don't need a "full time" mentor.

Regards
starssed