[haiku-development] Re: Google Summer of Code 2010 -- Preparation.

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:11:11 +0100

-- Matt Madia, on Thu, 19 Nov 2009 16:27:49 -0500:
> First draft of project ideas:
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/GoogleSummerOfCodeIdeas

Maybe the Gallium3d project could be a worthwhile candidate. I don't
know if Artur would be a valid GSoC student, but maybe he could be
persuaded to mentor someone. Maxime and Ryan work together well, so it
seems like it's positive if the mentor very actively works on a project
instead of "only" supervising.

Another project would be to give CUPS another try...

IPv6 might be quite a challenge for one student, I suspect. Maybe if a
full-blown student/mentor partner team á là WebKit could be formed. If
a suitable mentor can be found, which may be possible if the planning
starts early enough.

For the "Intergrating(sic!) software into Haiku" of the above linked
wiki page:
 * [http://dev.osdrawer.net/projects/clipup ClipUp]

Though, I'm not yet sure what to think of Qt4 for Haiku, it's probably
unstoppable anyway. So why not try to get the best integrated Qt4 port
possible. Maybe one of the 3 guys (3dEyes, Shade or... the third one),
who have been working on it, can become student or mentor. It's multi-
platform, so that could be a plus when student spots are assigned by
Google.

Write support and proper testing of ext2/3/4, reiser, ntfs.

Maybe some of the most rewarding security aspects could be identified
and worked over by a student.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de