[haiku-development] Re: Google Code-In task ideas

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 14:11:24 -0400

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 5:01 AM, "Jürgen Wall" <x-otic@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Von: "Adrien Destugues" <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > installoptionalpackages BeBook
> >
> > (and as John Scipione now has commit access, expect an Haiku Book next
> > to it soon :))

I don't know about soon but I'd like to get it finished before R1 :)

Maybe I'm wrong but the Haiku Book as well as BeBook is meant to be an API
> documentation, which is quite a different thing than a hands-on developers
> guide. It doesn't teach you how to modify, bugfix or add enhancements in
> Haiku internals.

The Haiku Book is essentially an API documentation guide right now but it
could be extended to be a hands-on developers guide as well -- and it is
also a good place to include these details IMHO. For example the
introduction to the Midi2 kit contains a lot of details on how Midi works
and is consumed.

Darkwyrm wrote a series of tutorials on Haiku development, perhaps they
could be used as a basis for extending the Haiku Book or a dedicated
Developers Guide (with his permission of course.)

John Scipione