[haiku-development] Re: GCC2 and GCC4 on same System

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 21:29:43 +0200 CEST

> Hi Duane,
>
> Duane Ryan wrote (2007-08-27, 16:10:58 [+0200]):
> > ...Though isn't haiku an operating system that works on ppc AND
> > x86?
> > Certainly it would help the ppc side if you could compile once,
> > distribute everywhere.
>
> the Haiku PPC port is not as advanced as the x86 version, so we are
> talking
> future anyways. Traditionally, the BeOS download sites have
> intergated the
> option to download either an x86 build or a PPC build if both were
> available.
> Haiku is also about efficiency, so I don't mind having to be aware of
> the
> issue and downloading the correct version for me. If every app was
> available
> as a fat binary, my app folder would take twice as much disk space
> for no
> reason. So while I follow your argument about added simplicity, for
> me the
> downsides are more important.

[+1]

And since ppc users will likely be much less in numbers...
Also download sites can detect the cpu in the user agent of the browser
and suggest the correct download (but leave others in case it's for use
on another machine). A centralized package manager will also know the
cpu and download the correct package too.

fat bins would also force devs in using 2 different gccs, and writing
ugly scripts to configure && make && make install DESTDIR=foo twice (or
more...) for their app.
You don't want to put 68030 bins along with them do you ? ;)

François.