[haiku-development] Re: GCC2 and GCC4 on same System

  • From: kamikazow@xxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 01:21:01 +0200

Stephan Assmus wrote:

> the Haiku PPC port is not as advanced as the x86 version, so we are talking
> future anyways. Traditionally, the BeOS download sites have intergated the
> option to download either an x86 build or a PPC build if both were available.
> Haiku is also about efficiency, so I don't mind having to be aware of the
> issue and downloading the correct version for me. If every app was available
> as a fat binary, my app folder would take twice as much disk space for no
> reason. So while I follow your argument about added simplicity, for me the
> downsides are more important.

And what about AMD64 and IA32? Shouldn't owners of 64 bit CPUs have an
OS that takes advantage of their CPU without having to know details
about their CPU architecture?

If you say that R1 will bis IA32-only and R2 will be AMD64-only then
fine. Problem "solved". But if both architectures should be supported
natively, there's the problem about users having to know details about
their CPU architecture.

Apple says: HDD space is so cheap, the simplicity offered by adding all
supported CPU architectures and all supported localizations into one
package outweights the disadvantage of wasted disk space.
I don't know if that's the best way to go.