[haiku-development] Re: GCC2 and GCC4 on same System

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:04:20 +0200

Hi Duane,

Duane Ryan wrote (2007-08-27, 16:10:58 [+0200]):
> ...Though isn't haiku an operating system that works on ppc AND x86?
> Certainly it would help the ppc side if you could compile once,
> distribute everywhere.

the Haiku PPC port is not as advanced as the x86 version, so we are talking
future anyways. Traditionally, the BeOS download sites have intergated the
option to download either an x86 build or a PPC build if both were available.
Haiku is also about efficiency, so I don't mind having to be aware of the
issue and downloading the correct version for me. If every app was available
as a fat binary, my app folder would take twice as much disk space for no
reason. So while I follow your argument about added simplicity, for me the
downsides are more important.

Best regards,
-Stephan