[haiku-development] Re: Filesystem corruption and Alpha-1

  • From: DarkWyrm <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 07:45:11 -0400

Stephan Assmus wrote:
Hi everyone,

with this e-mail, I want to initiate some feedback in two directions.
First of all, I want to gauge other peoples general experience with
file system corruption. Secondly, I want to steer up some discussion
with regards to filesystem corruption preventing the release of Haiku
Alpha-1.

<snip>
Anyway, what's the general impression of other people, is anyone
seeing something else frequently? Or none of these things at all? If
you see any of these issues, how often?
While I'm not using it full time, I use I haven't seen any filesystem
issues of this kind or any others for that matter.

My second line of thought is this: We have promised to fix all known
 filesystem bugs before we want to release R1/Alpha-1. But, even once
we managed to fix all /known/ bugs, isn't there a good chance that
one or more bugs still remain uncovered? In any case -- we do not
want testers of our Alpha-1 release to fully trust it. What is
better: "We fixed all file system corruption issues known to us, but
please make backups of important data anyways!" Or "There are at
least three known bugs that cause filesystem corruption. They do not
happen frequently enough to make working on Haiku impossible, but
they do happen so please be sure to make frequent backups of
important data." Hm. What is more likely to make users do backups?
The second one IMO.

Another open issue of the Alpha-1 milestone is the ATA bus_manager.
I've tried to help a bit with that, but to be honest, I don't really
know what the remaining issues are. Why have we not yet switched over
to it? If more systems work with the ATA bus_manager, now, wouldn't
it be the natural consequence to make the switch right now? If
systems that worked before stop working, we could still offer the old
IDE bus_manager in the build, just like we offer the ATA stack right
now for people who can do their own builds. Maybe a switch would
increase the pressure to fix remaining issues in the ATA stack.
+1

In any case, I am using Haiku for all my daily work except for when I
want to play a game or absolutely need Flash to work in a website. It
runs without any issues except for the occasional disappearance of
e-mails which I keep on the IMAP server anyways. My personal feeling
is that the ballance of annoying and embarassing issues versus a
smooth experience has tipped in favor of doing the release sooner
rather than later. I would like to know what other developers and
users think.
I would completely agree. Just in my day-to-day experience, I feel like in its current state, it's what I would consider acceptable for an alpha release already. Squishing the last remaining blocker bugs could only improve the experience. :)

--DarkWyrm