[haiku-development] Re: Disabling Strict Aliasing for GCC4 Builds

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 12:36:21 +0200

Hi Rene

> Same behavior as before for me.....the backtrace I got that time
> started with syslog and went somewhere trying to get an fd in the
> kernel though....as I said the traces for me seem entirely random and
> never really point to any particular spot. Driver-wise I have nforce,
> legacy_sata, firewire, ehci usb, emuxki and auich. radeon is disabled
> because it still misbehaves just as before.

As Andreas reported that his stability got better when he disabled
firewire in his BIOS, maybe you could either do the same or remove the
firewire driver? What is absolutely possible is that a bug in a driver
does not cause direct crashes, but instead results in memory corruption
(some memory freed by the driver and then overwritten again while it
was in use by something else). This could then result in the random and
inconsistent crashes you get.

Regards
Michael