[haiku-development] Re: Comments on these possible OptionalPackages

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 09:55:11 +0200 CEST

Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
> wrote:
[...]
> > localization is on its way, too, and the more I use Haiku the more
> > I'm
> > being tempted to just add session management as well. Just
> > thinking...
> We definitely need to put a stake in the sand at some point, and
> probably sooner rather than later. We really can't expect to have a
> complete and perfect OS in the first version. Though because we are
> mostly cloning BeOS R5 we are ahead of the game compared to a
> completely new OS. Plus we are just talking about the alpha here,
> though in my mind we should not be adding anything major once the
> alpha is out either, just fixing bugs.
>
> Still as tempting as it is to add all these cool new features now
> (and
> I am as bad as anyone), we really have to have some discipline.
>
> So with that said maybe we should just table anything that is
> currently just an idea (like session management) and only finish the
> things we have committed to (localization, notification, service kit
> and whatever else is already in the pipeline.)

I wouldn't mind if those features won't make their way into the alpha
or even R1. But I think it's okay to  have someone working on this,
even though I would prefer everyone working at the "specified" R1
feature set -- and those bugs.

But since this is an open source project, everyone needs to develop
that kind of discipline for himself. But if not, it's still better to
contribute to Haiku in some way than not to do it :-)

Having said that, those additional things won't really hold up the
alpha - if there are problems with the code, or it's not finished yet,
it just won't be part of it.

Bye,
   Axel.