[haiku-development] Re: Comments on these possible OptionalPackages

Pier Luigi Fiorini <pierluigi.fiorini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Axel Dörfler ha scritto:
> > I wasn't particularly targeting at InfoPopper here - I haven't had
> > look at its API, maybe it already fits perfectly, maybe not.
> If you have time, here's the library:
> http://svn.osdrawer.net/infopopper/trunk/libinfopopper/
>
> Basically, IPConnection is a connection to the server, the Send
> method
> sends a properly formatted message.
> The message information is taken from a IPMessage which contains
> notification type (information, error, etc...), progress, title,
> content, application name and icon.
>
> Some programs, like Vision directly send messages to
> infopopper_server.
> This is not a bad behaviour, but if InfoPopper will be integrated
> with
> Haiku it will be better to use libinfopopper which will take into
> account possible changes in the message format.
>
> Please, provide me all the indications you think are needed to get
> InfoPopper integrated with Haiku - even the little ones.

IMO integration in this case would mean that "libinfopopper" would be
assimilated by libbe.so. It's classes and constants would need to
follow the general style, ie. B_INFORMATION_TYPE instead of
InfoPopper::Information. I would also find a more general name for the
info/notification service, and I guess I would completely get rid of
IPMessage, and would just use a BMessage with predefined fields.
The functionality of IPConnection could probably be moved into BRoster.

That's what I would understand under "integration", but that would also
pretty much mean the end of InfoPopper as a separate project (in this
case). If InfoPopper were a larger project, I would have the above
loosely drafted API as a wrapper around what InfoPopper delivers.

Bye,
   Axel.