[haiku-development] Re: Comments on these possible OptionalPackages

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 00:46:47 +0200

On 2009-05-18 at 09:55:11 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
[...]
> Having said that, those additional things won't really hold up the
> alpha - if there are problems with the code, or it's not finished yet,
> it just won't be part of it.

I don't think it's that simple. Some features won't be separate enough to
just be disabled, if they aren't in acceptable shape. Localization is a
perfect example -- it needs to be integrated with other kits and all
applications should use it. Unless everything is strictly #ifdef'ed and
built conditionally -- which will be ugly and quite a bit of work, I guess
-- disabling it won't be possible.

For large/invasive features I'd suggest to use features branches. This adds
a bit of extra work, but leaves us in control with respect to when to merge
the feature into a release.

I suppose we should also come up with a roadmap to R1 in the near future.
The alpha 1 release process will be quite straight forward -- just create a
branch and only allow bug fixes in it -- but reverting to the current "put
everything into the trunk" strategy afterwards will certainly not be
helpful.

CU, Ingo