[haiku-development] Re: Alpha 3 : better late than never

Matt Madia wrote:
On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 19:08, Adrien Destugues
<pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This release proposal should reduce the amount of work on the development
side to a minimum. I don't think a release coordinator is needed on that
side. If someone wants to apply for the role, it's still ok. The main task
will be coordinating the creation of the release branch and the "golden
master" nightly creation. Then, we have to get the version tag updated in
the branch, and rebuild the optional packages to match it.

Timeline :
 * Today to 16th of may : review of the bugs listed above, decision about
what to do with them
 * 16 to 22 of may : fixing of the bugs that are not postponed (I expect to
see only few of them)
 * 22th may : creation of alpha branch (unless we do that before and merge
the changesets)
 * 1st of June : release!

If you have anything to say, please do so. But don't spend too much time in
discussing...


Does anyone else think that adding an additional one or two weeks of
exhaustive testing would be beneficial to the release?

This would allow
  * testing of the optional packages,
  * testing of Ingo's patch for reducing the image size, which should
allow it to fit in 700MB discs [1]
  * final touches on documentation & i18n translations.
  * improving ReleaseNotes [2]

Also, keep in mind our average length between our releases (about 9
months between R1A1-->R1A2  and 12 months between R1A2-->R1A3).

--mmadia


1: 
http://www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/r1a3-anyboot-image-too-big-for-CD,6
2: https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/R1/Alpha3/ReleaseNotes


Not that I have any say, but I think it would be a good idea to wait 2 weeks. theres been alot of new tickets in trac for small bugs.

 Peace out.

Other related posts: