[haiku-development] Re: Alpha 3 : better late than never

  • From: "Miroslav Stimac" <Miroslav.Stimac@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 16:01:08 +0200

Hello Arnold,

I think the same. It is better to wait a bit longer than to release a version
that has some critical bugs. I remember that there was a very serious
installation problem in the Alpha 2 release. Therefore may people had to use
nightly builds. We should avoid such a catastrophy, especially because it may
harm the reputation of the Haiku.

One other thing:
How about if we release two versions of R1 Alpha 3?
Version 1: Haiku R1 Alpha 3 GCC 2 Hybrid
Version 2: Haiku R1 Alpha 3 GCC 4 Hybrid with a games package

When we look at haikuware.com, games are very popular, for example HOMM 2 is at
ranking 1 of the TOP downloads list.
We may make Haiku more popular if we have some ready-to-play games in a
package. It is not necessary to have many games, but a few nice ones and maybe
a few emulators, too.
Games are a wonderful way to demonstrate the multimedia features of an
operating system.

What do you think?

Best wishes,
Miroslav Stimac