[haiku-development] Re: ATI Video Driver Source Code

  • From: Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 18:43:35 -0400

Cian Duffy wrote:
2009/6/4 Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

 *  4C46     "RAGE 128 Mobility 3"

I'm running on this, the driver is loading but the mode list doesn't
contain the actual resolution of the panel - it detects same (KERN:
ati: LCD Panel size: 1400x1050 Panel type: 0x5  power delay 22) but
doesn't give me any mode higher than 1280x1024...

Any ideas? I'm no good with driver code so can't figure out exactly
how it builds its mode list

For the Mobility (laptop) chips where the laptop LCD display is active, the ATI driver uses the VESA mode list that the Boot Manager sets up. This is the same mode list that the VESA driver uses, and the ATI driver uses mostly the same code to set the mode for the Mobility chips when the LCD display is active.. Were you able to select 1400x1050 before the ATI driver became part of Haiku? That is, were you able to select 1400x1050 with the VESA driver?

I have a Thinkpad A22p which has a 1600x1200 display and the same video chip that you have. 1600x1200 is in the list of modes, but 1400x1050 is not in the list of modes although 1400x1050 is in the list of VESA modes that is shown at the beginning of the syslog. Is 1400x1050 in the list of VESA modes at the beginning of your syslog?

I assume that you did not have an external monitor connected to your laptop. Because if you did and the external monitor was the only active monitor, the driver then uses the EDID info for building the mode list which would contain only the modes supported by the external monitor. Note, that the monitors must be switched only while the boot screen is active; that is, before the ATI driver starts up.

Best regards,
Gerald