[haiku-development] Re: ARM-Port and GSoC

  • From: Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 21:58:11 +0200

Stephan Assmus wrote:
Hi,

What do you think of this idea? To much/not enough for GSoC ?
As I said, I don't think it would be picked up, but you can always submit it anyway.

Actually, I wouldn't have reservations to give this my vote. :-) For me it mainly depends on the quality of the application and the dedication that the applicant shows in the run-up to the final voting.
It seems like a good project and candidate to me too :) ARM is the only other architecture that makes me curious atm, and it seems to have a bright future. Simply a +1 to Johannes

François wrote:
I believe most devs will not favor such a project. The current goal being x86 desktop systems, with R1/alpha due RSN, so GSoC subjects helping this goal will likely get more votes.

In my opinion, i think it's even better if we don't mix our alpha release needs with Google's generous program, GSoC is not here to provide us free workers so that we can release 'our' 'product' earlier. I mean, if someone has a project that doesn't interfere too much with the alpha release and, above all, the student and mentors find it interesting, for intelectual reasons, i'm full thumbs up! We're simply a bunch of nerds, sure there's some organisation and focus, but let's not pretend we're a corporation with investors and deadlines. Maybe i'm wrong, but i see GSoC like a public fund to promote open science, promote it in a sense that it can help to bring missing pieces to some projects, but also in a sense that it has an educational function for the student and society in general, besides the basic equation 'work = money'. So the student and mentor being mutually motivated and interested should be, in my opinion, a priority in the decision, that is, if there is even a selection to be made, there's more mentors than candidates right now :)

Best regards,
Alex